If you notice any of the following side effects, contact your doctor immediately:
- Severe pain in the stomach (which may be a sign of pancreatitis)
- Vision problems
- The appearance of bruises, reddening of the skin (in the form of spots), and frequent bleeding of the gums or nosebleeds (which may indicate the occurrence of thrombocytopenia)
- Increased eye pressure
- Increased intracranial pressure and headaches
- Difficulty breathing
- Hirsutism (excess hair growth)
- Generalized weakness
- Muscle pain
- Tendon rupture
- Bone fractures
- Fluid retention
- High blood pressure
- Loss of muscle mass in the arms and legs
- Increase in body weight
- Increased perspiration
Prednisone should not be used in conjunction with the following medications:
- Adalimumab (a monoclonal antibody used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis). Co-administration with this drug can significantly weaken your immune system and increase the risk of developing severe infections.
- Leflunomide and teriflunomide (medicines used in the treatment of multiple sclerosis). Similar to Prednisone, these drugs weaken the immune system. Taking them concomitantly with Prednisone increases the risk of serious infections.
- Quinolone antibiotics (norfloxacin, ofloxacin, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, and moxifloxacin). Concomitant use of Prednisone and these drugs increase the risk of tendon rupture.
- Bupropion (an antidepressant and smoking cessation medication. Co-administration of these drugs increases the risk of seizures.
- Etanercept and infliximab (used in the treatment of autoimmune diseases). These medications weaken the immune system, just like Prednisone, which increases the risk of serious infections.
- Deferasirox (used to treat chronic hemochromatosis). Concomitant use of this drug increases the risk of digestive side effects.
- Mifepristone (used in the termination of pregnancy). This medicine can reduce the effectiveness of Prednisone.
- Vigabatrin (used to treat epilepsy).
Co-administration with this drug increases the risk of vision loss.