If you notice any of the following side effects, contact your doctor immediately:
- Severe pain in the stomach (which is a sign of pancreatitis)
- Vision problems
- The appearance of bruises, reddening of the skin in the form of spots and frequent bleeding of the gums or nosebleeds (which indicates the occurrence of thrombocytopenia)
- Increased eye pressure
- Increased intracranial pressure and headaches
- Difficulty breathing
- Hirsutism (excess hair growth)
- Generalized weakness
- Muscle pain
- Tendon rupture
- Bone fractures
- Fluid retention
- High blood pressure
- Loss of muscle mass in the arms and legs
- Increase in body weight
- Increased sweating
Prednisone should not be used simultaneously with the following medicines:
- Adalimumab (a monoclonal antibody which is used in treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis). Co-administration of these drugs can significantly weaken your immune system, which further increases the risk of severe infections
- Leflunomide and teriflunomide (medicines used in the treatment of multiple sclerosis). These drugs weaken the immune system, just like Prednisone, and taking these drugs concomitantly increases the risk of serious infections.
- Quinolone antibiotics (norfloxacin, ofloxacin, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin and moxifloxacin). Concomitant use of Prednisone with these drugs increases the risk of tendon rupture.
Bupropion (a drug used for smoking cessation and as an antidepressant). Co-administration of these drugs increases the risk of seizures.
- Etanercept and infliximab (medicines used in the treatment of autoimmune diseases). These drugs weaken the immune system, just like Prednisone, which increases the risk of serious infections.
- Deferasirox (a drug used to treat chronic hemochromatosis). Concomitant use of these drugs increases the risk of digestive side effects.
- Mifepristone (a drug used in the termination of pregnancy). This medicine can reduce the effect of the Prednisone.
- Vigabatrin (a drug used to treat epilepsy). Co-administration of these two drugs increases the risk of vision loss.
Once I treated children who suffered from acute allergic rhinitis with Prednisone. I liked the effect of the drug, because it was able to quickly remove the swelling and allergic reaction. After that, I was prescribed Prednisone for hives. Despite improvements in the condition, this medicine caused me to have some side effects in a form of sleep disturbances. But for me the main factor is effectiveness, if the medicine helps, then side effects can be tolerated. Especially, if they are so insignificant as a violation of sleep. I would not sleep anyway because of the illness.